Posts Tagged blue crab
32 oz cream (one quart)
12 oz lump blue crab meat (canned is fine, do not drain)
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (one stick)
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons Sherry wine (substitute your favorite non-oaked white wine)
3 teaspoons Old Bay
1/2 small yellow onion, apx 1/2 cup, chopped fine
1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock
Black pepper (freshly ground)
To prepare (apx. 30 minutes, serves 4):
- Over medium heat, melt butter in 4 qt pot. Add onions, Old Bay, juice of one lemon, and Sherry. Sweat onions, apx 5 mins.
- Add flour, one tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly. Do not add next tablespoon until previous tablespoon is well incorporated. Cook 2 or 3 minutes once all flour is added, stirring constantly.
- Turn down heat and slowly stir in cream, apx 4 oz at a time, or in a slow drizzle. Stir continually to avoid scorching the cream.
- Stir in chicken stock.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and additional Old Bay.
- Fold in lump crab meat and liquid from the can. Cook 10 – 15 mins. Do not boil. Stir regularly and gently to avoid scorching… But not too much that you break up the lump crab.
- Serve with your favorite bread on the side.