Archive for December, 2012
When I lived in Pittsburgh and went to family functions for the holidays, or a birthday dinner, and especially during a get-together during a Steelers game, it seemed like among the plethora of Black and Gold, cheese and crackers, ham BBQ, and stuffed potato skins, was a big pan of bubbling buffalo chicken dip. If you’ve never had it, it is literally one of the most awesome football game foods in existence. Loads of cheese, ranch dressing, shredded chicken, and buffalo wing sauce all mixed together and baked until it’s golden brown, bubbly, and delicious. Dip some Frito’s, toasted bread, or tortilla chips… and let the memories of your Aunt screaming at the TV after the Steelers made a bad play come flooding back into your mind…
Here’s my twist on the classic:
1 8-oz package of cream cheese, softened.
1/2 cup of your favorite ranch dressing (or sub blue cheese dressing)
1/2 cup of Frank’s Red Hot original or buffalo wing sauce
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
1 2-cup package of shredded cheddar cheese, divided into 1.5 cup and 1/2 cup portions.
2 cans (12.5-oz each) of chicken, drained and shredded.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Combine softened cream cheese, ranch dressing, mayonnaise, Franks’ Red Hot sauce, celery seed, black pepper, and 1.5 cups of shredded cheddar cheese in a bowl and mix well. Fold in drained, shredded chicken.
3. Evenly spread ingredients into a 8 x 8 glass or ceramic pan (or a glass pie pan).
4. Sprinkle the 1/2 cup of remaining shredded cheddar cheese on top.
5. Bake 20-30 minutes until bubbly and the cheese on top is melted and golden brown.
6. Allow to slightly cool, and serve with plenty of whatever to dip… like your face.
7. Take two Tums before bed to cool the hot pipes.